Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I hate reading complex books

Socrates and The Bhagavad-Gita are both complicated to read. I think The Bhagavad-Gita is a little more complex. Certain parts and teachings in the book were easy. After reading the answers to Arjuna question, it seemed like Lord Krishna didn’t answer the question or maybe I just didn’t understand the answer to the question. I didn’t like how The Bhagavad-Gita ended because I got confused at the end. I was actually confused through the whole thing. Did Arjuna end up fight the battle or what? I can’t believe Arjuna and Lord Krishna had this whole conversion in the middle of the battlefield. I know it went by faster than how long it took me to read it but it seemed like the conversation took longer in the middle of the battlefield. This book is also similar to Socrates. They both ended with leaving people clueless. I liked how Arjuna asked questions rather than Socrates because Socrates was too (thinking), too (thinking), too (thinking) I don’t know, but it’s too something. I don’t think I like Socrates but anyway I prefer to read Socrates rather than The Bhagavad-Gita. At first I thought The Bhagavad-Gita was easier to read but it’s not. What was different about the characters that asked questions was that Socrates did more of the talking and Lord Krishna did more of the talking. Socrates asked a lot of questions as if he knew the answer already and he wanted to confuse Euthyphro the teacher. Arjuna asked questions and didn’t ask questions to every little thing Lord Krishna said. Both of the characters asked questions in different ways. I think that if Socrates asked questions how Arjuna did than Socrates wouldn’t have been trialed.

By the way the prompt for the second essay is confusing a little. I don’t understand how the positive things from the books dialogues can make the class run better. What if I think the class is running just fine?

1 comment:

Devon said...

I have to agree with you on both accounts. Sometimes it makes me wonder why in the world, if they want you to pick out a lesson and utilize it, why don't they make it straight-forward so you don't mess up?
On the prompt, yes, I can understand your frustrations... I mean, I like the class and personally, I find some of the methods from our readings to be inappropiate for our class. Just an opinion...